The information on this Web page links to other Web sites.  This information is provided as a helpful resource only.  It is not legal advice and is not a substitute for legal advice.  Understand the law and the court process can be difficult and complex.  You should contact a lawyer licensed to practice law in Nebraska for legal advice about your legal problem. The Nebraska State Bar Association makes no endorsement of the quality of services provided by any of the organizations listed on this Web page.


Nebraska Online Legal Self-Help CenterInformation and links to legal resources to help you represent yourself in Nebraska Courts, including forms and information provided by the Nebraska Supreme Court Committee on Self-Represented Litigation as part of the Nebraska Supreme Court's commitment to ensure that all Nebraskanas have access to the courts.

Law Help Nebraska: Information and forms for tenants and debtors representing themselves in landlord-tenant and debt collection legal disputes in Nebraska.  This interactive Website is hosted by Legal Aid of Nebraska. The Website is in English and Spanish.

Legal Aid Programs in Nebraska 

The following are legal aid programs for low-income persons.

Legal Aid of Nebraska:  Non-profit law firm that provides free legal representation to underprivileged citizens.  Apply Online or call 1-877-250-2016.  Whether someone qualifies for services depends on your household income, your assets, and the type of legal problem you have.  You may qualify for services through Legal Aid of Nebraska if your household income is 125% of the federal poverty legal and you have few assets.  Go the the Legal Aid of Nebraska Website to see the income guidelines.  Some exceptions apply to the income guidelines.  For example, if you are age 60 or older, the financial eligibility guidelines may not apply to you.  Legal Aid of Nebraska cannot help you with a criminal case, personal injury case, or workers compensation case.  Legal Aid of Nebraska's legal services are free; however, you may have to pay court costs.  To call Legal Aid, go to the Apply by Telephone Web page to view telephone intake numbers specific to your legal situation. 

Creighton Law School Civil Legal Clinic If you’re a Douglas County resident who falls within the Federal Poverty Guidelines and are involved with a civil matter (non-criminal), you may be eligible for free legal services through the Milton R. Abrahams Legal Clinic. To apply, call 402-280-3068 between 9 a.m. and 4 p.m. Monday through Thursday. 

University of Nebraska Civil Law Clinic: Law school civil clinic handles a wide variety of civil cases for eligible low-income Nebraska residents. There is no charge for attorneys’ fees but clients may be responsible to pay a nominal administrative fee and court filing fees and costs if not eligible for a fee waiver from the court. To apply, call 402-472-3271.

Lawyer Referral Service

The Internet has links to many lawyer referral services.  Not all Internet lawyer referral services are hosted by state or local bar associations in Nebraska.  The Nebraska State Bar Association "Nebraska Find-A-Lawyer" and the Omaha Bar Association Lawyer Referral service are approved by the Nebraska Supreme Court to operate in Nebraska.  The choice of a lawyer is an important decision and you should not relying solely on advertisements in your decision to hire an attorney.

If you want to hire a lawyer, the following lawyer referral services include lawyers who provide limited scope and modest means representation for low-income persons.

  • Nebraska Find-A-Lawyer (Statewide lawyer referral service)
  • Omaha Bar Association Lawyer Referral.  If you think you need a lawyer, call (402) 280-3604 to set a consultation appointment with a private practice lawyer.  Serviing Douglas, Sarpy, Cass, and Washington Counties for over 50 years.  Trusted.  Proven. 

Volunteer Lawyers Project

The Volunteer Lawyers Project is the pro bono program of the Nebraska State Bar Association.  Volunteer attorneys provide pro bono legal assistance to eligible low-income Nebraska residents.  The Volunteer Lawyers Project does not accept or respond to telephone, email, fax, or U.S. mail requests for pro bono legal assistance.  If you are interested in applying for pro bono legal assistance, you must apply for assistance from Legal Aid of Nebraska.  If you meet the eligibility requirements for services through Legal Aid but it cannot provide assistance to you, Legal Aid may refer your application to the Volunteer Lawyers Project.  There is no guarantee your application will be referred to the Volunteer Lawyers Project and, if your application is referred, there is no guarantee a volunteer lawyer will be available to assist you. Apply Online or call 1-877-250-2016.   

Other Helpful Organizations

Disability Rights Nebraska: Investigates incidents of abuse and neglect and may provide legal representation to protect the legal and human rights of people with disabilities. Through a variety of other activities including public education, information and referral, and public policy analysis, Disability Rights Nebraska works to change public attitudes and increase public awareness of the legal and human rights of people with disabilities.

American Civil Liberties Union of Nebraska: The ACLU is our nation's guardian of liberty, working daily in courts, legislatures and communities to defend and preserve the individual rights and liberties that the United States Constitution and laws of Nebraska guarantee everyone in the Cornhusker state.

Immigration Legal Assistance

Nebraska Immigration Legal Assistance Hotline:  A centralized hotline and resources for low-income immigration legal assistance.  Those in need of immigration legal assistance can contact NILAH in order to be connected to the non-profit immigration legal service provider that can best meet their needs, in the shortest amount of time.  The Hotline number is 1-855-307-6730.  Hotline telephone hours are:  Monday & Wednesday 9am-11am, 12:30pm-3:30pm CST; Tuesday & Thursday 9am-12pm, 1:30pm-3:30pm CST; and Friday, 9am-12pm CST. 

Justice For Our Neighbors: Advocates for immigrants in Nebraska by providing free legal representation. To find out if you are eligible for services, call the Nebraska Immigration Legal Assistance Hotline, a centralized hotline and resource for low-income immigration legal assistance.  The Hotline number is 1-855-307-6730.

Catholic Charities Immigration Legal Assistance Services:  Assistance filing a variety of USCIS forms.  Services consist of legal consultations to evaluate immigration legal options, advice how to proceed, and representation throughout the legal process. Consultations are by appointment only.  To make an appointment, call the Nebraska Immigration Legal Assistance Hotline, a centralized hotline and resource for low-income immigration legal assistance.  The Hotline number is 1-855-307-6730. 

Lutheran Family Services:  Offers immigration legal assistance to refugees, immigrants and asylees.  Minimal fees for service are charged on a sliding scale.  Offices in Omaha, Grand Island and Lexington. 

Help with Food, Shelter, Clothing and Medicine

211 Nebraska provides callers information about and referrals to human services for basic human needs resources, physical and mental health resources, employment support, support for older Americans and persons with disabilities, and support for children, youth and families.